|SEND TO PRINTER|
10 Tips to Improve Pipetting Technique
Of all the factors contributing to performance, the most critical are skill and expertise of the operator.
1. Prewet the pipette tip
2. Work at temperature equilibrium
3. Examine the tip before and after dispensing sample
4. Use standard mode pipetting
5. Pause consistently after aspiration
6. Pull the pipette straight out
7. Minimize handling of the pipette and tip
8. Immerse the tip to the proper depth
Too little immersion, particularly with large volume pipettes, can lead to aspiration of air. Too much immersion can cause liquid to cling to the outside of the tip. Contacting the container bottom with the tip may restrict aspiration.
9. Use the correct pipette tip
10. Use consistent plunger pressure and speed
George Rodrigues, Ph.D., is senior scientific manager, Artel, a leader in liquid-handling quality assurance. The company holds regular webinars and training sessions to teach the best practices in manual pipetting. For more information, please visit www.artel-usa.com/learning_center.aspx.
© 2012 Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News, All Rights Reserved