GEN Exclusives

More »

GEN News Highlights

More »
Dec 30, 2011

Poll Respondents Mostly Confident U.S. Can Protect Second-Opinion Genetic Test Developers

  • A GEN poll reveals that people mostly believe that the U.S. can develop a system to protect innovator diagnostic firms as well as safeguard those offering confirming tests against patent infringement. Some two-thirds of respondents (66.7%) expressed such confidence, while the remainder (33.3%) was undecided, and no respondents disagreed.

    The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) faces a June 16 deadline for submitting to Congress a study on “effective ways to provide independent, confirming genetic diagnostic test activity where gene patents and exclusive licensing for primary genetic diagnostic tests exist.” USPTO is expected to take its first step toward such recommendations in mid-January, when it is to announce dates and places for hearings on confirming genetic diagnostic tests. Advocates for such testing say the current system based on patent eligibility drives up costs, limits patient options, reduces innovation, and harms medical practice. Diagnostic developers counter that patent eligibility provides the financial incentives that allow them to recoup the costs of developing the tests


Add a comment

  • You must be signed in to perform this action.
    Click here to Login or Register for free.
    You will be taken back to your selected item after Login/Registration.

Related content


GEN Jobs powered by connects you directly to employers in pharma, biotech, and the life sciences. View 40 to 50 fresh job postings daily or search for employment opportunities including those in R&D, clinical research, QA/QC, biomanufacturing, and regulatory affairs.
More »

Be sure to take the GEN Poll

New NIH Budget Proposal Leaves Many Confused and Unsettled

Do you think that using the so-called “mandatory budget funds” to pay for the proposed $825 million increase, as well as $1 billion of the NIH’s existing budget is a good idea?

More »